I took my material scanning rig for another spin for this long time coming continuation of Texture Tuesday! I recently went to Dressew to pick up a bunch of scrap fabric, and decided that the perforated jersey fabric would make a great. I was really excited to try this material because I knew it would be a challenge to get the pattern to look good, but also because it was so heavily perforated, I would get to experiment with the Opacity component. I didn't change very much with my setup. Still using a Samsung Galaxy S7 and Adobe Lightroom Mobile to capture raw DNGs, and my material scanning box from the previous blog post.
The scan processing initially produced some strange results that had to be clean up. It was impossible for me to flatten the sample out, so i was getting a really strange normal map. As a result, I had to spend some time cleaning up photos. After processing the scans through the color equalizer, multi crop, auto-tiling, and several other tools, I was still having a hard time getting the pattern to be seamless. With some more practice I think I could get it right, however to speed things up, even though I was incredibly reluctant to do so, I edited each output in Photoshop a little bit, to make each map a seamless tile.
From there, the final (bottom right) picture in the above image was the capture of the material's opacity. This image allowed me to easily create a very convincing opacity map. This allowed me to punch very accurate holes in my material, I also experimented with the Color Match Node, which allows you to quickly alter the hue of your scan, but preserve the gradations. So despite scanning a red jersey, the output of my scanning graph can turn out any colored jersey your heart desires!